[standards-jig] IBB - the collection of the remaining issues and arguments.

Casey Crabb crabbkw at nafai.dyndns.org
Wed Apr 9 22:32:37 UTC 2003

I don't mean to be confrontational, but I'd going to have to disagree
with StPeter. Consensus has not been reached yet.

There are a few remaining open issues with IBB that I will attempt to
summarize without giving opinion.

* Message versus IQ

The arguments for Message:
  - Its the "right" way to send "Data" in Jabber

The arguments against Message:
  - It automatically goes to the next resource down the list if the
    addressed one goes offline.
  - It gets stored offline and may inadvertently cause a DOS.

The arguments for IQ
  - It supports an XMPP way of confirming reciept

The arguments against IQ
  - It "forces" confirming reciept of each packet.
  - It's not the "right" way of sending "data" in jabber

* Flow Control / Acknowledge packet receipt
 - Do we need it at all?

[Begin opinion]

I see the need for more discussion before the jep can be updated and
we can move forward. We need to be able to answer the above and have
people agree on the *reasoning* behind the answers.

[End Opinion]

Comments?
--
Casey