[standards-jig] IBB: Making it all "go"

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Thu Apr 10 01:55:21 UTC 2003

Daniel Chote <daniel at chote.net> wrote on 10-4-2003 2:36:06:

>Now, i know that if the server implementations worked properly, other
>than the offline storage issue from the s2s latency, it would be
>reasonable.. but, still very irrelevant to the definition of the
><message/> packet.

Straight from the still fresh XMPP core draft 08:

About the message "stanza".

"
Message stanzas in the 'jabber:client' or 'jabber:server' namespace are
used to "push" information to another entity. Common uses in the
context of instant messaging include single messages, messages sent in
the context of a chat conversation, messages sent in the context of a
multi-user chat room, headlines, and errors. These messages types are
identified more fully below. "

We are "pushing" information here, so that would fit the description.

However, we want more then just that, in many cases we want to have
things like flow rate control, 100% reliability, and we only want our
packets to be delivered to the same resource and client that we started
the streams with and we want no offline storage (as an extra it might
be nice in some cases though). I think we *all* agree on this?

All this can be done today, right now, with <iq> and it can not be done
with <message>.

XMPP core on the <iq> stanza, agrees with Rachel:
"
Info/Query, or IQ, is a request-response mechanism, similar in some
ways to HTTP[24]. "
Wich to me doesn't sound like it would exclude IBB.

So I'd say, if there is a group wich has reached consencus that for
whatever reason we should use message instead of IQ stanzas they (we'll
all help as ussual ofcourse) start fixing <message/> till it can fill
at least the same basic requirments that <iq/> already handles (most
likely using JEP 22 and 23 as a starting point). Until they do, or at
least state to do so , I see no reason for Justin K. to incorperate
<message/> into his JEP, or the council/JEP-editor to tell him to do
that, unless it is their believe that Justin is also responsible for
fixing problems concering the message stanza.

Then I'd like to add one more thing the discussion, and that thing is
XMPP. Using the <iq/> stanza the JEP would depend merely on XMPP Core
(wich is nice cause it's not necisarly IM centric). I don't know what
the chances are for JEP 22 and 23 or simulair functionality (needed for
IBB) making it into XMPP Core (slim?), but I think if IBB would depend
on it, it should at be included in the final XMPP IM spec. If the
message stanza is meant for this type usage the tools to do so should
be part of standard functionality.

--
Tijl Houtbeckers
Software Engineer @ Splendo