[standards-jig] IBB: Making it all "go"

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Fri Apr 11 02:24:05 UTC 2003

>> There's no technical reason (other than sheer 'eeew?  WHY?!' factor and
>> BASE64 encoding bloat) that I can't encode a webpage entirely in the
>> headers of an HTTP result as BASE64 strings either, and eliminate the
>> HTTP stream.  But it's not what HTTP headers are designed for so (as
>> well as being architecturally repulsive) it's not philosophically
>> correct, and this doesn't seem like what IQ was designed for either. :)
>
> Neither <iq/> nor <message/> was meant for this. Let's face it,
> <message/> is designed with delivering textmessages between *persons*
> in mind. HTTP = Hyper Text Transport Protocol if I'm not mistaken.
> Don't tell me you never used it to open a bytestream before. The points
> "<iq/>, it's kinda like HTTP, we could do IBB with it" is just as much
> correct as "<message/>, it's kind of like information pushing, we could
> do IBB with it". Right now, <iq/> is the best tool for the job. It
> might be a little bit more unefficient, but <message/> is not even safe
> for use. That's why the JEP uses <iq/>, and that's why IMHO, it should
> be accepted.

Of course I've used HTTP to open a bytestream. :)  But you're actually sort
of making my point for me; <iq/> is the HTTP header data, which I send and
receive back, and thus have negotiated a stream.  <message/> is the stream
itself.

To put it another way, using psuedo-HTML:

iq get:
   GET /mystream HTTP/1.1
   Host:www.psuedo.code
   User-agent:text-typed-in-email

iq result:
   HTTP/1.1 200 OK
   Server:still-more-text-typed-in-email

message:
   Row, row, row your code.
   Gently down the stream...

If we want to carry the HTTP analogy further (since other people than me
are running with it now), what is being suggested with IQ is something very
loosely analogous to (using still more psuedo-HTML to draw a clearer
analogy):

iq get:
   OPEN /mystream IBB/1.0
   Host:www.psuedo.code