[standards-jig] IBB: Making it all "go"

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Fri Apr 11 03:24:20 UTC 2003

Justin Karneges <justin-jdev at affinix.com> wrote on 11-4-2003 4:51:33:

>I think when you weigh the options, compatibility with existing
>servers is more important than waiting for fixed <message> specs and
>implementations.  Either way, IBB would solve the job.  The reason to
>wait would be if using <iq> for data delivery is somehow "wrong", but
>there is no such thing.  <iq> is the correct choice for anything that
>requires an ack, the content is irrelevant.

You know what Justin, maybe we could just use <message/>. However I
propose that you, as editor of this JEP will make sure that IBB packets
get flagged as evil: http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0076.html

That way, when I step on the UTP cable of my desktop machine, my
cellphone can actually warn me it's going to be downloading 500 MB
worth of message stanzas for the next few days.... now if only I could
get a JEP accepted that will make the council pay my phonebill :)

(Ok, so it's a bad joke... please don't hate me list people!)

--
Tijl Houtbeckers
Software Engineer @ Splendo