[standards-jig] IBB: Making it all "go"

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Fri Apr 11 09:26:37 UTC 2003

> If JEP 22 and 23 are in standards track, yes. But at practically the
> same costs as <iq/>. For a purpose I still do not fully see. If you
> want low latency you'll send smaller packets, but then you'll want all
> your packets acked for good flowrate control. If you don't care about
> latency just send huge packets. If you want something inbetween, send
> something inbetween. The only real advantage I could see is if you want
> no reliability at all, wich IMHO can be done in another JEP, just like
> (to make more anologies) TCP and UDP are seperated.

Yep I think we should just go ahead and have two JEPs doing it both ways, I
dont think either camp is going to agree here and both seem to have
perfectly valid reasons for using their chosen method, if you want every
packet ack'd and a simple protocol use IQ, if you want more flexibility use
Message, and having two standards instead of various incompatible standards
for using with IQ is better, even if the IQ one is just informational.

Richard