[standards-jig] NEW: Message Delivery Semantics (JEP-0079)

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Wed Apr 16 03:01:14 UTC 2003

Robert Norris <rob at cataclysm.cx> wrote on 16-4-2003 4:55:49:

>> To avoid confusion you could mention at point 7.1.2 wether that is
>> 00:00:00 at the beginning or the end of the day.
>
>Or perhaps just treat timestamps that don't include a date as invalid
>(ie ignore the rule, or error).
>
>> As for point 7.1.3: just pre-fixes and no post-fixes?
>
>You mean suffixes ;)

maybe I do ;)

>I don't think that suffixes are necessary. Most people using
>"match-resource" would be using it to build a kind of hierarchy out of
>resource identifiers. There's no similar use for a suffix.

Example:

Private/Desktop
Work/Desktop
Private/Laptop
Private/Mobile
Work/Mobile

You may want to send something to a desktop, though you don't care
about private or work.

And what about:

Home/Livingroom/Desktop
Home/Livingroom/TV
Home/Kitchen/Microwave
Home/Bedroom/TV

This is not exactly hierachy based information. (Then you might want to
do substring matching even).

If you can think of a need for prefixes it's not that easy to think of
one for suffixes or substrings either. Or at least, easyer than
thinking of uses for subset matching ;)

That does bring up a question though. If a presence with lower priority
matches my sub-/super-set exactly, and one with higher priority
partially, it still goes to the highest priority resource?

--
Tijl Houtbeckers
Software Engineer @ Splendo