[standards-jig] NEW: Message Delivery Semantics (JEP-0079)

Rachel Blackman rcb at ceruleanstudios.com
Wed Apr 16 09:31:39 UTC 2003

> Looks good, but I would also like to see a condition that stops a message
> from being stored offline at all, as I dont think expires could be used if
> clients are also processing this as say a expires-in of 0 would possibly
> be dropped by the server or the client when it receives it as it might
> have taken a little while to arrive.

Actually, I think expires-in works perfectly for this, provided it's
handled by the final destination server.  (Which I think needs to be the
behavior anyway.)  If the server I am on receives a message with an
expires-in of 0 for me, and I am online, it should pass it on to me
immediately; from the point of view of the server (since expires-in is
counted from message reception), there's no delay.  (Or there shouldn't
be.)  If, however, I am not online and the message reaches my server, it
will find I'm not online and see the expires-in as 0 and simply not store
the message offline.

That's just my take on it, though.

Trillian Messenger - http://www.trillian.cc/