[standards-jig] NEW: Message Delivery Semantics (JEP-0079)

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.no-ip.com
Wed Apr 16 15:30:18 UTC 2003

<rule condition="expire-in" value="0" action="drop"/> should handle the
situation you describe perfectly.  The argument you seem to be raising
against this is the case of clients understanding these semantics in a
recipient role.  Bluntly put, the implementing server *MUST NOT* make
any assumptions of this type (and I can add language that explicitly
states this).

If the server cannot deliver such a semantically-marked message
immediately (which depends on how a server interprets "immediately"), it
*MUST NOT* get stored offline (as I thought the JEP clearly outlined).
The blurb about clients possibly understanding this JEP is a matter of
convenience and consistency for users, but (again) servers MUST NOT make
the assumption that the client can deal with it.

Put another way, if a server does not discard or deliver a "this message
expires in X number of milliseconds" message in that X number of
milliseconds, then it would not be considered to comply with this JEP.

-  LW