[standards-jig] UPDATED: Message Delivery Semantics (JEP-0079)

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.no-ip.com
Mon Apr 21 18:17:21 UTC 2003

The changes made are most likely the least controversial of all the
proposed changes. I do realize that it doesn't include consideration for
everyone's feedback yet.  I am working on it (somewhat slowly)! (-:

Before doing too much more, I'd like to hear from this ML about
"match-resource" values, about disco-based "rule/action" support
reporting, and about "expire-in" values.

CONTROVERSY #1:  "match-resource"
I've proposed:
* changing "subset" to "prefix-subset"
* changing "superset" to "prefix-superset"
* adding "suffix-subset"
* adding "suffix-superset"

Tijl has asked for:
* adding "substring-subset"
* adding "substring-superset"

David Waite has said resource matching (most likely) violates XMPP
specs.

CONTROVERSY #2:  "disco"
I've proposed the following for reporting support for a specific
condition:
<feature var='http://jabber.org/protcol/msg-delivery?condition=<new
condition>"/>
I've proposed the following for reporting support for a specific action:
<feature var='http://jabber.org/protcol/msg-delivery?action=<new
action>"/>

Announcing the "bare" namespace implies support for those conditions and
actions defined in the JEP.

There have not yet been any comments on this.

CONTROVERSY #3:  "expiration times"
Better language needs to be applied for this, in the "Implementation
Notes" section or the "'expire-in' Condition" section.  What I'd like to
say is something like "servers start the expiration counter when a delay
is anticipated, such as moving the message to offline storage" or some
such.  I'm not sure if this is still not explicit enough for everyone's
tastes.

Thoughts?

-  LW

--