[standards-jig] NEW: XMPP/Jabber MIME Type (JEP-0081)

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Tue Apr 22 09:22:54 UTC 2003

> However, I think this is partly a fallacy.  Under Windows and (I believe)
> Macintosh, it's possible to add new services for URIs easily enough; I've
> admittedly not looked at Mozilla in a while, but I would be surprised if
> they have no way to add new services to URI.

Exactly in windows its just a simple matter of your jabber client adding a
few entries to the registry, just like AIM adds in keys for its aim: URL
scheme. I still think this method is much easier for web developers to use
as you would have to create possibly loads of extra files or a cgi script to
generate these new files, also a users webhost needs to alter their
mime.types file on their webserver, and from experience that is a very
difficult thing to get them to do that, IMO the URL scheme is better
although I can see that these MIME types can add extra extensibility,
although im not convinced that this should be a replacement for the URL
mechanism just a companion to it.

Richard