[standards-jig] presence (JEP-0018)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Apr 22 14:48:12 UTC 2003

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 05:37:39PM -0600, Peter Millard wrote:

> > - 18 (Presence) -- this should be retracted (handled by XMPP WG)
>
> Well, I agree and disagree :) Perhaps this should be fixed up (we need to
> endenture someone who will actually _DO_ the work) and document whats already in
> the "wild". I think Jabber folks will want to continue to use invisible before
> it has a chance to be in the charter for XMPP-WG.

With the existence of flexible blocking rules (Section 8 of XMPP IM),
I don't see a need for <presence type='invisible'/>. I think you can do
everything invisible does (and more) using privacy rules. Plus I really
don't think this will ever be added to the XMPP WG charter (for various
reasons). That said, I'm not opposed to informational documentation of
what's "in the wild" regarding invisible. But I'm not going to do this
one. :-)

Jabber Software Foundation