[standards-jig] NEW: XMPP/Jabber MIME Type (JEP-0081)

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Tue Apr 22 17:29:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 10:56:28PM -0500, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Joe Hildebrand and I have written a JEP that defines a MIME type for
> XMPP/Jabber. This JEP supersedes Jabber URI Scheme (JEP-0032), or at
> least is intended to. The JEP is a bit rough around the edges, but
> feedback is welcome. Release early, release often! :-)
>
> http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0081.html

I don't like this JEP, because the format it specifies is so different
from XMPP streams. IMHO the files should look more like the streams.
It would be much easier to extend it then. Now, when new feature is
added to XMPP or Jabber (as XMPP or JEP) and may be usefull in
application/xmpp+xml file, than proper addition must be added to the
file definition.

IMHO instead of:
<message jid='stpeter at jabber.org'/>
it should be:
<message to='stpeter at jabber.org'/>

and it would be possible to set subject or initial body in the file too.

Instead of:
<vcard jid='stpeter at jabber.org'/>
it could be :
<iq type="get" to="stpeter at jabber.org">
        <vCard xmlns="vcard-tmp"/>
</iq>

and it whould be also possible to set the vcard this way.

Of course "security consideration" would be much longer (application
should make all checks, and ask user for permission to do most actions),
but the mime type would be much more usefull in the long run.

Greets,
        Jacek