[standards-jig] JEP-50 Sponsorship

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Tue Apr 22 17:20:19 UTC 2003

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 11:23:16PM -0500, Thomas Muldowney wrote:
> I'm sponsoring JEP-50 and I'm motioning for Last Call on it.  It's time
> to speak up if you have any thoughts or concerns.

I think commands defined by JEP-50 could replace jabber:x:search and
jabber:x:register (for registration in component), and allow custom
configuration of components. This is an IM application, which was not
the one considered while the JEP was written, but this is where I need
such protocol.

Currently I have registration and search implemented using the "legacy"
(without jabber:x:data) jabber:x:search and jabber:x:register. I would
get rid of this code, but I can't as most popular clients (Psi) doesn't
seem to work without this. I have also implemented jabber:x:data as
addition to those namespaces (as defined in JEP-0004), but I don't like
this. In my transport the registration form is now: registration form,
unregistration form, component configuration form and remote account
configuration form, depending on account state and element chosen from a
pull-down list. All of, and searching this should be done using uniform
interface, but not in one form. And this is the place where I see JEP-50
very usefull.

The client could show me available commands, I could choose one and do
whatever I want. No new namespaces are needed. I will surely implement
this as soon as my client (tkabber) will understand it (I know: the
problem of an egg and a chicken).

Greets,
        Jacek