[standards-jig] JEP-0033 Jabber Packet Headers in iq

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Fri Apr 25 12:44:58 UTC 2003

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 05:25:38AM -0700, Justin Karneges wrote:
> On Thursday 24 April 2003 11:49 pm, Ralph Meijer wrote:
> > Iq stanzas can contain only one namespaced (other than iq itself) child.
>
> I don't believe this is true.  Do you have a reference?  From what I
> understand, nearly every iq-related protocol happens to only have one child
> element of iq, but this is not a requirement.

I have had this clarified in the latest -core IETF draft, section 7.5.3 [1].
You can't have multiple childs of IQ because it opens a whole can of worms:

 - if one of the request inside an iq fails, should actions performed because
   of the other requests be rolled back?
 - which request did actually fail and how do I know?

There are probably a lot more, and I'd rather not go there.

[1] http://www.jabber.org/ietf/draft-ietf-xmpp-core-10.html#anchor18
--
Groetjes,

Ralphm