[standards-jig] Jabber i18n proposal

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.no-ip.com
Fri Apr 25 16:03:41 UTC 2003

Sorry for my delay in responding, Jacek...

xml:lang on the individual tags feels "over the top" in trying to solve
this problem.  Either the tediousness of tracking this would make
"simple" implementations not so simple, or would end up relying on it's
root elements.

My reasoning is that most of us that even bother to properly
internationalize will do so using concepts like Java's "resource
bundles", which contains, among other things, the strings for a
particular locale.  From my admittedly limited experience with them,
they seem to be much easier to manage when "everything" you've got
internationalized is currently working with the same locale.  In terms
of JEP-0050, this would be a <command/> execution session.

I can see this compromise (including xml:lang into the root element, but
not the children) being fairly easy to manage, and not very
overwhelming.  When time permits, I'll put an "Internationalization"
section into JEP-0050 to cover the impacts of xml:lang (and give you
guys kindling for the resulting flamewar (-: ).

That said, it might be worth putting together an informational JEP on
negotiating the language/locale, possibly using JEP-0020 (Feature
Negotiation).

-  LW

--

Matt "linuxwolf" Miller