[standards-jig] Jabber i18n proposal

Iain Shigeoka iain at jivesoftware.com
Sat Apr 26 18:36:45 UTC 2003

On 4/25/03 9:03, "Matthew A. Miller" <linuxwolf at outer-planes.no-ip.com>
wrote:

> I can see this compromise (including xml:lang into the root element, but
> not the children) being fairly easy to manage, and not very
> overwhelming.  When time permits, I'll put an "Internationalization"
> section into JEP-0050 to cover the impacts of xml:lang (and give you
> guys kindling for the resulting flamewar (-: ).

I think that would be great... /me goes looking for my flame retardant suit

> That said, it might be worth putting together an informational JEP on
> negotiating the language/locale, possibly using JEP-0020 (Feature
> Negotiation).

Agreed. Something like a recommendation regarding internationalization to
JEP writers along the lines of JEP-1 with examples ... That way there's a
standard for JEP writers to be held to, but the specifics need to be
specified on a JEP by JEP basis. JEP-0020-like mechanisms do seem like a
great way to approach the problem.

In particular, you shouldn't just assert a lang because the other side of
the conversation may not support it (and then what do you do?). Negotiating
the 'best' lang seems pretty specific to users (let alone clients). For
example, I may request english and if a service can't provide english, it's
a failure because I'm a mono-language loser. However, another person, may
request german, but be able to work with english as a second choice if
german wasn't available.

-iain