[standards-jig] FW: [Re: retracting JEP-0040?]

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Apr 30 01:46:36 UTC 2003

I've heard back from the author of JEP-0040....

He is not on this list any longer, so I've cc'd him on this forward.

/psa

----- Forwarded message from Timothy Carpenter <> -----

Subject: Re: retracting JEP-0040?
From: Timothy Carpenter
To: Peter Saint-Andre

Peter,

I have a few thoughts, basically in the area of functionality or behaviour
in JEP0040 that are not covered by JEP0060.

1) there seems to be no ability to request a snapshot of the full contents
of a node at the point of subscription.

2) The area of ID is still undefined, yet this is important to define. I
added a separate element, publish type, to control if the event was
updating, contained a full list of all current items in the node, was
correcting it (as opposed to altering it) etc. An alteration due to an event
needs to be distinguished from an alteration because value(s) are wrong.
This may not matter in chat, but is very important when sending financial
information!

3) Sequence numbering (the main thrust of JEP0040) is not covered. Being
able to ask for 'n events' in the past is not comparable, and relying on a
free format ID to control order and gaps is also not suitable in all cases.

As such, I believe that JEP0040 does not cover the same areas as JEP0060,
but I would like to suggest that the purpose of JEP0040, a robust version of
pubsub, be converted into an extension built upon JEP0060 foundations.

--
brgds
Tim Carpenter

----- End forwarded message -----