[standards-jig] RE: Proposal: Jabber as universal ID

Kent Wang kwang at kwang.org
Tue Dec 2 09:11:33 UTC 2003

Justin's analysis of how the process would work is exactly what I had in
mind; it should not require your Jabber password and should be secure.

I also agree with Constantin that more robust data retrieval/publishing
support needs to be in place before this can be implemented well.
Without it, the only thing it'd be good for is an alternative to
supplying your email address for account verification.

The Pub-Sub JEP does look very promising and would provide for
propagation of information updates. This feature isn't totally necessary
for a pilot implementation as just being able to do crude scheduled
pulls of Jabber account info should be enough. Reading through the
Pub-Sub JEP I got the impression that it was very much dependent on the
implementation of the Data Forms JEP
(http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0004.html) - at least to be useful for
this purpose.

With that said, are there any existing clients with experimental support
for either of these JEPs? If there were, I could get started right away
with hacking phpBB and creating a pilot implementation.

Also, Justin: I searched the Drupal website for any information on how
it supports Jabber and failed to find anything. Could you point me to
any documentation, or is it a thus far undocumented feature so I should
just install Drupal and play with it?

Thanks all for your comments.

Kent Wang
IC2 Institute