[standards-jig] UPDATED: JEP-0045 (Multi-User Chat)

Heiner Wolf wolf at bluehands.de
Fri Dec 5 10:06:07 UTC 2003

Hi,

writing JEP Virtual Presence I reviewed the use of JIDs in chat rooms. I
can get rid of JIDs in anonymous rooms, if the room would be able to
fetch server storage on behalf of the client. So, clients do not know
each other's JID, but get access to each other's server storage through
the room.

I propose that the room be a proxy, like:
  client -> room:
  <iq type='get' to='room at server/nickname'>
    <query xmlns='storage:client:something'/>
  </iq>

  room -> server of the client:
  <iq type='get' to='user at jid'>
    <query xmlns='storage:client:something'/>
  </iq>

  server of the client -> room:
  <iq type='result' to='room at server'>
    <query xmlns='storage:client:something'>DATA<query>
  </iq>

  room -> client:
  <iq type='result' to='room at server/nickname'>
    <query xmlns='storage:client:something'>DATA<query>
  </iq>

where only the first stanza is kind of new, but implemented easily.

Probably needs configuration if the room is willing to take the traffic
load, off by default, etc.

hw
--
Dr. Klaus H. Wolf