[standards-jig] Re: Re: [Foundation] Motion for Last Call - Chat State Notifications (JEP-0085)

Alexander Gnauck gnauck at myjabber.net
Sat Dec 6 16:14:54 UTC 2003

Hello,

> No one is being forced to support this.  Perhaps you can make it
> optional in your clients.  Perhaps not implement it at all.
>
> Loss of privacy is the same argument used a long time ago against the
> composing event and could just as well be used against the displayed
> event. People thought privacy was going to be lost forever, but in
> reality it turned out to be quite helpful in a conversation.
> The fact is that you can not rely on this information being accurate
> for spying purposes.  People might have it turned off, there might be
> a bug
> in the client, someone may be tricking you into thinking that they are
> reading the conversation, etc.

The clients should have options where the user can switch On or Off the
events. Or the User should be able to choose which event to send and
which event he never wants to send.
All this could be done with JEP-22. Also new events could e added to
JEP-22 when necessary. Lots of client authors implemented JEP-22
already. I see no reason why we need another JEP for the same thing.

Alex