[standards-jig] Service discovery and localization

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.net
Mon Dec 8 18:56:26 UTC 2003

So far, we've explicitly said that <item/> elements are unique by "jid"
and "node", and that more than one "jid" + "node" SHOULD NOT (IIRC)
occur in the same result.  This would change that, and could break
existing software, for what appreciable benefit?  I don't think this is
a good solution for <iq/>-based usage in general, and disco in
particular[1].

In reality, it is very, very rare that a requester would need multiple
locales with a single retrieval.  It is much more common that the
requester would know it's own locale, and would (*should*) inform the
responder it wants results in that locale.

I believe it has been implied in the past that the "xml:lang" of the
outlying <iq/> determines what localization the results should be
returned as (with a missing "xml:lang" meaning the results are in the
responder's default locale).  How about simply explicitly relying on
this behavior?  Additionally, as a more complete compromise, use the
"xml:lang" on each <item/> that is *not* in the returned locale (since,
in the Real World, not every string is necessarily translated).  I don't
expect every implementation to know what locale a string was localized
as, so implementations shouldn't depend on this.

Personally, I'd rather we stuck to a single locale (as much as possible)
in the results of such things.  It makes all our software simpler
(requester- and responder-side).

Just my 0.02 USD...

-  LW

[1]  In the case of <message/> and <presence/>, where the recipient
really can be more than one entity (each in their own locale), it makes
versions.  However, in the case of <iq/>-based protocols (where the
recipient is truly intended to be a single entity), this would be
less-than-desirable.