[standards-jig] UPDATED: JEP-0045 (Multi-User Chat)

David Sutton jabber at dsutton.legend.uk.com
Tue Dec 9 09:47:40 UTC 2003

Hi Heiner,

  This was originally included for compatability with the original conference service, conference v0.4,
and as such isn't documented. The other problem with your suggestion is that its implementation-specific
at the moment - MU-Conference uses the MUC JEP as the framework for communications between service and
users, but the goals of MU-Conference extend beyond the current realms of the document. There are a number
of functions and abilities that I want to add, such as room filtering and mysql logging, which won't
appear in the JEP as things stand. The MUC JEP defines the communication stream, but many of the decisions
on how things like iq to users are handled is left to implementation. This is why it was originally
suggested that a secondary jep be created - MUC Services. This would cover some of the fun expansions that
people started identifying. You must also take into account that the MUC jep has applications in more than
just Jabber's conferencing system - i'm already working on using it in the IRC-t being worked on.

Regards,

  David