[standards-jig] Re: Multi-User Chat as proxy

Jean-Louis Seguineau/EXC/ENG jean-louis.seguineau at antepo.com
Tue Dec 9 19:27:31 UTC 2003

Heiner,

AFAIK right now MUC is only "proxying" presence and message. Apart from its
own protocol IQs, I am not aware of any IQ proxying implementation.

That said, I am not convinced that MUC should have to proxy IQs. I would be
tempted to say that an easy extension path would be to allow any JID to
allow for some kind of "profile" to be available to other users of a room.
This kind of profile could be opaque to the MUC implementation, but
"discoverable". This way any component of the profile could be made
available to other users, and that could include either direct or indirect
access to avatars for example. The way this is performed will be entirely
left to the MUC implementation.

Jean-Louis