[standards-jig] S5B Extension

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Thu Dec 11 09:37:44 UTC 2003

As I reported earlier, role-switching was removed from JEP-65 sometime after
it advanced to draft.  This is unfair, I think, as these changes didn't have
to be seconded by the members or reviewed by the council.  Certainly a JSF
policy change is in order.

Because the authors seem reluctant to put the role-switching feature back, I
have decided to create a custom extension to support it.

Also, after doing some real-world tests with JEP-65, I realized it would be
useful to allow simultaneous connections from both peers, to avoid having to
wait for role-switches to happen.  I have called this 'fast-mode.'

I have documented both extensions here:
  http://affinix.com/~justin/stream.html

The extensions were designed with backwards compatibility in mind.  Any client
supporting them should have no trouble communicating with those that don't.
I will not be pursuing a JEP.  I only mention them here because I would like
comments for improvement.

-Justin