[standards-jig] UPDATED: JEP-0100 (Gateway Interaction)

Sebastiaan Deckers cbas at rhymbox.com
Thu Dec 11 10:45:15 UTC 2003

Quote:
In the past, some gateways and clients used the undocumented
'jabber:iq:gateway' to "negotiate" address conversion for any particular
contact address on the legacy service. This use is NOT RECOMMENDED.

What if the methods described in Section 7 (Addressing) cause name
conflicts at the other network?
Allowing each transport to handle the address format conversion for its
own network seems like a good idea to me.  So why is the practice NOT
RECOMMENDED?