[standards-jig] UPDATED: JEP-0100 (Gateway Interaction)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Dec 11 17:32:34 UTC 2003

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 11:45:15AM +0100, Sebastiaan Deckers wrote:
> Quote:
> In the past, some gateways and clients used the undocumented
> 'jabber:iq:gateway' to "negotiate" address conversion for any particular
> contact address on the legacy service. This use is NOT RECOMMENDED.
>
> What if the methods described in Section 7 (Addressing) cause name
> conflicts at the other network?
> Allowing each transport to handle the address format conversion for its
> own network seems like a good idea to me.  So why is the practice NOT
> RECOMMENDED?

The methods in Section 7 need more work, and I'm still thinking about
whether to document jabber:iq:gateway in this JEP. In general I think it
would be good to document the conversion rules used by existing gateways
when they convert what the user provides into an iq:gateway result.
There are two such rules that I have heard of:

1. For MSN addresses, convert '@' to '%'.

2. For AOL screen names, delete whitespace (potentially problematic, but
that's the way the AIM-Transport works now).

ICQ numbers obviously need no conversion. I don't know if there are
other allowable characters in MSN addresses or AOL screen names that
could be problematic, nor do I know what the rules are for Yahoo
usernames. Presumably some of the gateway developers could provide
answers here. We would need to convert any characters that are
disallowed in the username portion of a JID:

* whitespace
* 22h (")
* 26h (&)
* 27h (')
* 2Fh (/)
* 3Ah (:)
* 3Ch (<)
* 3Eh (>)
* 40h (@)

We *could* use JEP-0106 for the conversion rules, but that breaks
existing gateways, and we don't want to do that.

Some of those characters are allowable in email addresses, so they might
turn up in MSN addresses (e.g., ' and &).

Etc.