[standards-jig] gateway handling of legacy contact lists

maqi at jabberstudio.org maqi at jabberstudio.org
Thu Dec 11 21:32:39 UTC 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> 3. After I register with the gateway, it sends a jabber:x:roster message
> to me containing all my contacts.
> Option #3 seems like the right way to go, since that is what the
> jabber:x:roster protocol is for, after all. ;-)
> http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0093.html

The typical behaviour when registering with a gateway would be
2. Receive a jabber:x:roster packet
3. Add all the contacts received

Cons:
- this is inconvenient from the user's point of view
- some clients do not support jabber:x:roster, silently breaking
auto-import then
- there are several unhandled cases, for example what happens if a
user only adds SOME contacts? Should the gateway remove the others then?
How should it determine which ones have not been added?
- the gateway's contacts are not NEW contacts, they are contacts that are
present once the user has finished gateway registration so it's not really
an application for jabber:x:roster

Of course, one could patch clients to solve most of the cons mentioned
above. A client/gateway development guide seems to be necessary :-).

Some discussion already has taken place on this topic, see
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.jabber.devel/20124

Regards