[standards-jig] jabber forwarding

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Thu Dec 11 23:19:07 UTC 2003

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 02:50:06PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> So, when are we going to define "jabber forwarding" -- the ability to
> have message sent to one of my accounts temporarily or permanently
> forwarded to another of my accounts? Any thoughts on how that should
> work? Inquiring minds want to know.... ;-)

Well, one way is to use the filtering JEPs (62 & 63) - 63 has a
"redirect" action that would do this.

Though I wonder if we need to be thinking about true relaying abilities,
like email has. I suppose JEP-0033 is really needed here.

Or, we could just write protocol and semantics for this single case -
forwarding messages. Its doesn't seem generalised enough for my tastes,
but if there's only one requirement, then there's not much point adding
other stuff.

What other possible uses of this sort of thing can people think of?

Rob.