[standards-jig] gateway handling of legacy contact lists

Peter Millard me at pgmillard.com
Fri Dec 12 18:20:00 UTC 2003

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Option #3 seems like the right way to go, since that is what the
> jabber:x:roster protocol is for, after all. ;-)
> Thoughts?

+1000 on this... the other added benefits are:
    - The user can select which contacts to add to their jabber roster
    - The gateway can send nickname + group information

The second point is something a lot of my users have asked for a lot. This would
allow the transport to automatically add all of my MSN contacts to a group
called: "MSN Contacts" or something.

Clients that don't support x:roster should be updated to support it since it's a
very useful extension (this is just one example of it being useful).

pgm.