[standards-jig] gateway handling of legacy contact lists

Paul Curtis pcurtis at terrapin.com
Fri Dec 12 20:25:01 UTC 2003

On Friday, December 12, 2003, at 01:20  PM, Peter Millard wrote:

> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Option #3 seems like the right way to go, since that is what the
>> jabber:x:roster protocol is for, after all. ;-)
>> Thoughts?
>
> +1000 on this... the other added benefits are:
>     - The user can select which contacts to add to their jabber roster
>     - The gateway can send nickname + group information
>
> The second point is something a lot of my users have asked for a lot.
> This would
> allow the transport to automatically add all of my MSN contacts to a
> group
> called: "MSN Contacts" or something.

Yes, and this is a problem. When I send the roster a second time when
the user logs into Yahoo, and the group is set, the user gets two
entries in their roster. Without getting the roster and reading it, how
do you propose to solve this? If I send the jabber:x:roster without a
group, then the user can move them around without having duplicates
appear in their roster.

The nickname is fine for those services that send along the data. I
think we should implement jabber:x:roster, but be wary of dropping
contacts into a gateway selected group.

Paul