[standards-jig] gateway handling of legacy contact lists

Sebastiaan Deckers cbas at rhymbox.com
Sat Dec 13 10:52:57 UTC 2003

I agree with that statement.  Transports should mirror the remote roster
-- not import them selectively.
The usage of jabber:x:roster is going to make it more confusing and
difficult for people to register with transports.  (And to some degree
more difficult for client developers.)

Deleting a transported contact from your Jabber/XMPP roster should
delete that person from the transported roster.  People expect this to
be transparent.
Selectively importing the transported roster conflicts with that idea.

I strongly prefer to have the transport take care of mirroring the
remote roster rather than the end-users.
Use jabber:iq:privacy if you want to micro-manage the roster.

"Keep it simple, stupid."