[standards-jig] gateway handling of legacy contact lists

maqi at jabberstudio.org maqi at jabberstudio.org
Sat Dec 13 13:36:21 UTC 2003

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Paul Curtis wrote:

> I agree. The jabber:x:roster is not the optimal solution. However,
> JEP-0100 Section 8 does allow for the use of presence with the 'type'
> attribute 'subscribed'.

JEP-0100 only documents current practice. Server implementing the XMPP
specs will (or better, SHOULD) drop these incoming 'subscribed' packets
breaking the mechanism described in JEP-0100. This is why this thread
started.

> However, Joe Hildebrand's suggestion of having the transports do a
> better job maintaining the roster on the Jabber side make sense to me.

Yes of course. But I don't quite understand how this is related to the
"how to push contacts" issue...?

For keeping the Jabber roster in sync with the legacy service's roster, we
(or better, the gateway/transport) need ways to

1. get the Jabber roster (reliably)
 This is not possible with XMPP right now. There are workarounds
 but they are rather complicated and certainly not entirely reliable
 (see my "Transports&Contacts" posting some months ago).

The transport then creates a "diff" from the retrieved Jabber roster and
the legacy service's contact list. In order to sync these lists, the
transport needs the following capabilities (on the Jabber side)...

2. add contacts to the Jabber roster (without needing user interaction)
 This is what we're talking about in this thread.

3. delete contacts from the Jabber roster
 No really a problem (presence unsubscribed).

4. change contacts on the Jabber roster (group, nick)
 Not possible AFAIK. Not that important but would be nice.

Regards