[standards-jig] gateway handling of legacy contact lists

Paul Curtis pcurtis at terrapin.com
Sat Dec 13 14:27:50 UTC 2003

On Saturday, December 13, 2003, at 08:36  AM, maqi at jabberstudio.org
wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Paul Curtis wrote:
>
>> I agree. The jabber:x:roster is not the optimal solution. However,
>> JEP-0100 Section 8 does allow for the use of presence with the 'type'
>> attribute 'subscribed'.
>
> JEP-0100 only documents current practice. Server implementing the XMPP
> specs will (or better, SHOULD) drop these incoming 'subscribed' packets
> breaking the mechanism described in JEP-0100. This is why this thread
> started.

Currently, sending the subscribed packets is the only reliable method.
The servers should drop these packets, and in the future, I suspect
they will. For now, it's the only thing we can do.

As for you other suggestions .... +1. There isn't a reliable way to
extract some or all of the user's roster into the transport. This is a
large stumbling block, and should probably be documented as an
extension to JEP-0100, or as part of JEP-0100.

The syncing of rosters between legacy and jabber systems should be
handled by the transport as much as possible. That was why I commented
on Joe's suggestion of the transport keeping the last know list of
legacy contacts.

Paul