[standards-jig] UPDATED: JEP-0120 (Infobits)

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Mon Dec 15 16:55:54 UTC 2003

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 01:49:50PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Version 0.4 of JEP-0120 (Infobits) is now available. The changelog is:
>
>    Removed privacy list classes (which are to be defined in a separate
>    proposal); added keynaming considerations; added more examples. (psa)
>
> http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0120.html

I don't like that proposal.

1. This flat key-value structrue restricts its usage to simple-not
structured data.
2. There is already jabber:x:data protocol for key-value data.
3. Distinguishing fields by names which even don't need to be registered
may cause some problems in future. At least some "X-" prefix should be
defined or names will clash.

IMHO the right solution would be just to use XML-formatted data with
proper namespacing. And xPath (it doesn't even have to be full xPath)
could be used to access individual fields/values of data transmitted.

vcard-temp was badly designed and even worse named, but that IMHO was
the right direction.

IMHO we need some higher-level protocol (container) for requesting/publishing
data, but data should be represented as properly namespaced XML nodes.

Greets,
        Jacek