[standards-jig] UPDATED: JEP-0121 (Initial Infobits Registration)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Dec 15 18:26:00 UTC 2003

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 07:37:08PM +1100, Michael Brown wrote:
> Peter,
>
> This looks like it is progressing nicely, but can you give us some
> background on how this mapping was reached?
>
> Why are all the vCard-temp fields not included?  What was the reasoning
> behind leaving some of them out?  (eg GEO)

Hmm, I probably missed a few. I specifically shied away from the geo
stuff until I get a chance to talk with people who know more about
geolocation than I do, since I want to make sure that we're capturing
all the information we need as defined in JEP-0080.

> Can you give us a pros & cons of banning binary (BASE64) data for the
> logo/photo/sound fields? (Also the 'sound' tag seems a little generic to
> me, maybe 'audioname' or something?)

Basically I tried to avoid inclusion of base64 data for now, since I was
concerned about size. I'll have to do some more research on the typical
size of logo/photo/sound files in vCard. Do you think my concern is
misplaced? I'm really not up on this enough to know yet...