[standards-jig] gateway handling of legacy contact lists

maqi at jabberstudio.org maqi at jabberstudio.org
Mon Dec 15 20:38:42 UTC 2003

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> Unfortunately, all of the transport-modifies-the-users-roster stuff will
> only work if you are using a transport on your own server. There's no
> way we should allow a transport running on a remote domain to have
> direct access to the user's roster.

I don't know what you are referring to here.

Obviously, the current situation with jabberd 1.4's presence
type=subscribed flaw is that contact pushing is possible.

With properly implemented XMPP, pushing is not possible (which perhaps is
a good thing).

Perhaps it would be a good thing to write a server module that implements
some extensions to support transports (getting/setting/modifying the
roster). Security is no problem as only transports the user has registered
with can be allowed to get/set "their" contacts (and nothing else).

Perhaps I'll start working on such a module if time permits.

Regards