[standards-jig] UPDATED: JEP-0121 (Initial Infobits Registration)

Michael Brown michael at aurora.gen.nz
Mon Dec 15 23:06:23 UTC 2003

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 07:37:08PM +1100, Michael Brown wrote:
>> Peter,
>>
>> This looks like it is progressing nicely, but can you give us some
>> background on how this mapping was reached?
>>
>> Why are all the vCard-temp fields not included?  What was the reasoning
>> behind leaving some of them out?  (eg GEO)
>
> Hmm, I probably missed a few.

Guess so.  It can't be that hard though - we copy them over from JEP-0054
right?  ;-)

> I specifically shied away from the geo
> stuff until I get a chance to talk with people who know more about
> geolocation than I do, since I want to make sure that we're capturing
> all the information we need as defined in JEP-0080.

I have to admit to not knowing a huge amount about it either, but in vCard
it is basically just a set of GPS coordinates I think, with some
indication of the margin for error?  This would just indicate the users
home location.  I thought JEP-0080 was more for real-time data.  At least
it does say:

"[it]...does not supersede the more permanent data captured in a vCard
(see vcard-temp [3]) or some other yet-to-be-defined entity profile
protocol. "

>> Can you give us a pros & cons of banning binary (BASE64) data for the
>> logo/photo/sound fields? (Also the 'sound' tag seems a little generic to
>> me, maybe 'audioname' or something?)
>
> Basically I tried to avoid inclusion of base64 data for now, since I was
> concerned about size. I'll have to do some more research on the typical
> size of logo/photo/sound files in vCard. Do you think my concern is
> misplaced? I'm really not up on this enough to know yet...

I'm not sure size is really a big concern when other JEPs are looking at
in-band file transfer and socks5 servers.  I can't really see that a
passport-sized jpg and a mono sample a couple of seconds in length can be
that big, and the server could impose the size limits.  I know Matthias
had some concerns about S2C/C2S sending BASE64.

My main question is, do we want to require the Jabber/JUD servers to
provide a web service for serving graphics and sounds?  I'm not completely
against this as I would like to use it for WebPresence, but that was not
particulary popular when I suggested it last time.  It does up the port
requirements for C2S.

Michael.