[standards-jig] gateway handling of legacy contact lists

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.net
Wed Dec 17 00:54:40 UTC 2003

Hi Sebastiaan, hi Maqi (with the same reply)!

Sebastiaan Deckers schrieb am 2003-12-17 00:30:51:
> >Then the admin of example.com gets access to all your roster items that
> >belong to users on example.com.
> No, only if the server "example.com" is an item in the person's roster.
> The admin of example.com would only have access to the contacts
> "... at yahoo.example.com".

The user won't reject a subscription request from example.com and
therefore it won't be a problem for the admin to get access even with
this restriction.
There is currently just no reliable way to check if something is a
transport or not - and I guess makeing transport contacts not different
from other contacts is not a fault but intended by the designers of
Jabber.

I just don't understand why there should a problem if the client has to
cooperate for the roster updates. I agree, that there should be ways to
syncronize the other IM's contact list with the Jabber roster. But why
not making a real protocol for this?

Tot kijk
    Matthias

--