[standards-jig] Proposal: Jabber as universal ID

CORVOYSIER David FTRD/DMI/REN david.corvoysier at rd.francetelecom.com
Fri Dec 19 15:41:10 UTC 2003

Never heard of the Liberty Alliance ?

http://www.projectliberty.org/

Here an extract of the FAQ:

Q: What is the Liberty Alliance Project?
A: The Liberty Alliance Project (http://www.projectliberty.org) was
formed in September 2001
 to serve as the premier open standards organization for federated
identity and identity-based services.
 The Alliance is delivering specifications and guidelines to enable a
complete network identity
 infrastructure that will resolve many of the technology and business
issues hindering the
 deployment of identity-based web services.

Q. What is the objective of the Liberty Alliance Project?
A: To create open, technical specifications that (i) enable simplified
sign-on through federated
 network identification using current and emerging network access
devices, and (ii) support and
promote permission-based attribute sharing to enable a user's choice and
control over the use
 and disclosure of his/her personal identification.

Take a look, you might find what you're looking for (but it's not jabber
centric, of course).