[standards-jig] Re: [Foundation] Motion for Last Call - Chat State Notifications (JEP-0085)

Nathan Walp faceprint at faceprint.com
Sat Dec 20 19:00:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 10:40:08AM +0100, Remko Troncon wrote:
> > The only "extra" state i've ever wanted was the "typed" state (user was
> > typing a message, but has paused), which doesn't exist in either JEP.
>
> Can't this be derived by the client when it sees a cancellation event
> after a 'composing' event ?

Nope.  See examples 3 & 4, and examples 9 & 10 in JEP-0022.  There is no
way to distinguish between the two events (pausing, and deciding not to
send a message) according to the protocol.  I thought about adding
a <composing type='paused' /> type of extension, but that would violate
the existing JEP, which states you should send a blank jabber:x:event
stanza.

Nathan

Nathan Walp             || faceprint at faceprint.com
GPG Fingerprint:        ||   http://faceprint.com/
5509 6EF3 928B 2363 9B2B  DA17 3E46 2CDC 492D DB7E