[standards-jig] Improving network integrity

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Wed Dec 31 20:53:18 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 31 December 2003 09:14 am, Tijl Houtbeckers wrote:
> As I noted before, this is nice to have in some cases, but be careful not
> rely on it too much, since this only works if the jabber client is
> connected directly to the server. If a proxy is used often this will fail
> to detect packets that disappear into the "black hole".

Good point, I had not considered this.

> This too could be done without changing XMPP, by wrapping XMPP in another
> protocol that is used for this "signaling" behaviour. (This will ofcourse
> require the server or some kind of proxy to implement that protocol). Or,
> it could be done within XMPP itself, simply using XMPP to communicate
> between the server and the client which packets have been received.

Doing it within XMPP itself seems slightly cleaner to me.  Maybe David Waite's
suggestion of a 'stream feature' should be used here.  How about this:

  <stream:features>
    <ack xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-ack'/>
  </stream:features>

If both sides agree to use the feature (I'm not sure how this would be done...
we should try to avoid yet-another-round-trip'..  maybe stick it in the
session iq exchange?), then each peer would ack received stanzas by sending:

  <ack xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-ack'/>

Just an idea,
-Justin