[standards-jig] couple disco questions

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.no-ip.com
Sat Feb 1 17:39:28 UTC 2003

Justin Kirby wrote:

>I have a couple questions regarding disco....
>
>Can a disco response to a #items query have <item/>'s with jids other
>than the queried jid?
>
>>From disco jep:
><iq
>    type='get'
>    from='romeo at montague.net/orchard'
>    to='catalog.shakespeare.lit'
>    id='items3'>
>  <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#items' node='music'/>
></iq>
>
>Is this a valid response?:
><iq
>    type='result'
>    from='catalog.shakespeare.lit'
>    to='romeo at montague.net/orchard'
>    id='items3'>
>  <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#items' node='music'>
>    <item
>        jid='byrd-keyboard.shakespeare.lit'
>        node='music/byrd-keyboard'
>        name='William Byrd - Keyboard Music'/>
>    <item
>        jid='dowland-first.shakespeare.lit'
>        node='music/dowland-first'
>        name='John Dowland - First Booke of Songes or Ayres'/>
>    <item
>        jid='morley.shakespeare.lit'
>        node='music/morley-sixteen'
>        name='Thomas Morley - Sixteen Canzonets'/>
>  </query>
></iq>
>
>If not, it seems that the jid attribute is a bit redundant in that case.

This is a valid response.  Items reported by disco do not need to match
the repsonding JID in any way.  This is how "off-site" services like
users.jabber.org would be reported by your server.

Additionally,each item has a different JID/node combintation.  Not two
items [in a specific <query/>] can have the same JID *and* node.

>Question #2
>
>Can you query #info to a node? This seems like a reasonable expectation,
>however, I do not see this specificied in the jep.
>
>Example:
>
><iq
>    type='get'
>    from='romeo at montague.net/orchard'
>    to='plays.shakespeare.lit'
>    id='info1'>
>  <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info' node='music'/>
></iq>

You can query info on a node in exactly the format you have above.  That
is the only method you would have of finding information about a node of
a JID.