[standards-jig] VoIP Standard for Jabber

Vapor vapor at 66oc.org
Wed Feb 5 16:06:09 UTC 2003

I have been doing some research into many of the possibilities for VoIP with
Jabber and it seems to me that XMPP really would be the best option for
session initiation.  Here are my reasons.  First, XMPP is easily Flexible
enough to handle all of the same capabilities that SIP offers in this
department, and may be able to do it without the same level of chat.
Second,  XMPP is already Jabbers engine and can probably be easily
integrated into Jabber.  Third, it would be easier for clients to adopt an
XMPP based solution.

If we push for SIP in an XMPP environment, then we need to develop a
protocol for handing XMPP off to SIP for the porpose of Voice, and client
will then have to support both SIP and XMPP, both of which are session
protocols.  And if it really is easy to bridge the SIP and XMPP protocols,
then do it via a Gateway or Transport so non XMPP based clients can handle
it as well.

RTP should be used for actually carrying the voice and I think it would be
wise for the Jabber community to adopt a number of standarized codecs and a
few not quite so standard codecs.

Also, one thing I think would be benificial would be the ability to change
compression/codec in the middle of a call.  This would provide for a level
of tolerance to poor bandwidth environments.  I know this is possible as
Teamspeak supports then and it works quite well, in the middle of a
conference, the rooms codec can be changed if needed without causing the
client to disconnect and reconnect.

Anywho those are my ideas.

Vapor