[standards-jig] JEP-0060 PubSub: Is Subscriber an "affiliation"?

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Fri Feb 14 23:23:49 UTC 2003

Matt Mankins wrote:
> So you can be a subscriber AND an owner,
> or an owner and not a subscriber.
	If you can be an owner but not a subscriber, then I think the
Affiliations chart should probably be edited to indicate that owners
don't have "unsubscribe" privileges. The same edit should be applied to
the publisher row if, in fact, you can be a publisher without being a
subscriber. As I understand it, the ability or privilege to
"unsubscribe" is something that comes as a side effect of being a
subscriber. It is not something that is inherent to being either an
owner or a publisher.
	If the conflict you identify is the reason for the fact that
subscriber is not a recognized affiliation, I would like to re-assert my
request for more granularity in the handling of rights. See:
http://mailman.jabber.org/pipermail/standards-jig/2003-February/002650.h
tml
	It is very confusing to have the affiliation chart which appears
to be a summary of all the various sets of rights that can be made, yet
it makes no mention of the distinct set of rights (i.e. "unsubscribe"
only) that are held by subscribers.

		bob wyman