[standards-jig] disco, x:data, etc...

Nick nick at devzero.homelinux.com
Tue Feb 18 23:42:28 UTC 2003

Just to make a note: I don't think node semantics were ever to "help"
in addressing JID addressable "items". "node" was put into place to
make it possible to discover non-JID addressable items.

Lets say you have a custom jabber server that also provides built in
webclients, LDAP, blah blah, etc. None of those items are addressable
but you would like to dissemanate that information to all who ask about
it. That's would node would be for.

Beyond that, the jep does not define semantics on how node can be used
or whether or not it should mean anything. I currently implement it as
a hierarchy following the example given in the jep with custom
categories and types (like containers: to let the entity know that the
item has children items and you can even disco#info the container and
it will tell you that it can #info and #items :). Others have mentioned
they do it as a string to address that non-jid item (maybe it contains
ip address to those services which don't have a jid, or path to a file
on the local machine, or some sort of URL, whatever).

So, no, node should not be a global thing. We already have an
addressing system in place to reach those entities that speak jabber.
Node is to provide for those that are too selfish to have a jid so the
(jabber)world can speak to them.

--

Nicholas Perez
Email: 	nick at devzero.homelinux.com