[standards-jig] UPDATED: XHTML IM (JEP-0071)

Matt Jankowski jankowski at bigwhoop.org
Wed Feb 19 17:47:49 UTC 2003

It might be useful to allow clients to send a <style> section within a
<head>, and have these styles apply to all future messages within that
stream, until another one is received.  That way, if I DO have a .css file
that I'd like to apply to all of my messages, I can just send it once
instead of with every message.

Why specifically eliminate <strong> and <em>?  I would think that it will
be just as easy to allow someone to select 'strong' from a menu as
it would for them to select 'bold'...

Would a compliant client be REQUIRED to apply the styles it received to an
incoming message, or could it allow it's user to define their own styles
to apply to messages?

Just a few thoughts.  I'm having trouble seperating a 'document' from a
'message', and trying to bring too much of a webpage into an IM message,
perhaps.

-Matt