[standards-jig] UPDATED: XHTML IM (JEP-0071)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Feb 19 22:10:36 UTC 2003

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Tom Waters wrote:

> I've just finished implementing xhtml support in my client, and have a
> couple of small comments.
>
> 1) in Windows Forms (C# .NET) there's no way to set the per character
> background-color on the standard RichTextBox.  There is only a single
> background color for the entire control.

Personally I don't see a strong need for background colors, but then I'll
probably never use XHTML in a Jabber client anyway. :)

> 2) Are you sure that you want to eliminate <b> and <i> in favor of
> styled spans?  I realize they are redundant, but they sure are shorter!

> v.s.

> style="font-style:italic">bold italic</span></span><span
> style="font-style:italic"> and plain italic</span>
>
> plus, they aren't especially hard to implement.

Well, I have an allergic reaction to physical markup style (<i> vs. <em>)
but I suppose in this context that's what people want, isn't it? I thought
it might be easier for implementers to just have one rendering algorithm
and base everything off the style properties, but perhaps I'm mistaken
about that. It seems that less processing is involved in this:

than in this:

But I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

> Under the same reasoning, <h1><h2><h3> etc. could be simulated with
> styles as well.
>
> What is the position of this JEP regarding the style of the H headers?
> E.g. what point sizes are they?

None yet. Suggestions? Do we really need to go down to h6?