[standards-jig] Discussion on JEP-0016: Server-Based Privacy Rules

Peter Millard me at pgmillard.com
Mon Jan 20 02:34:10 UTC 2003

mflin wrote:

> If you go back and read the earlier messages, x-virge and I both point out
> that the blacklist is trivial to circumvent. Make up a new username or
> cycle the DHCP on your local server, and you have a new JID to play with.
> In this sense, the feature is just a virtualization and it is irrelevant
> whether it is performed on the client or the server. The bandwidth
> argument fails because the blacklist can be circumvented so easily either
> way.

I would totally agree that a simple blacklist mechanism can easily be
circumvented, but a whitelist can not. However, if I block some looser kid
who is sending me msgs, or a spammer, they are unlikely to get a new account
just becuase they are getting bounced messages from me.

Perhaps you don't realize the full extent of the bandwidth issue because
you're not working with super thing clients.. Imagine someone I blocked
sending me ten 100K packets to my pager, or my cell phone. YIKES!

Peter M.