[standards-jig] Distributed JUD

Michael Brown michael at aurora.gen.nz
Mon Jan 6 08:01:44 UTC 2003

There is another possibility that I have been thinking about...not sure how
well this would work, but it's simpler (at least from a Jabber POV)

Each server has it's own JUD (only?) for the clients registered with it.
The information that people deem to be publicly available is listed in a
publicaly accessible format (XML?) that is easy for webcrawling bots to
read.  We then convince companies or organisations that are actually good at
indexing the internet for the public to search to do their thing.  (Google,
Bigfoot, etc spring to mind)  If someone is then looking for you, they can
go to the "Google Jabber Directory" and enter your details.

Obviously there would have to be some way to submit your server to one or
more of these services.  Some sort of transport would be required to search
via Jabber rather than a web browser.  Once the search has revealed the
users JID, the users server can be contacted directly.

        +: Simple to do
           Politically agnostic.  (Anyone can index)

        -: Requires buy-in from 3rd parties
           Hit&miss - some servers may not be indexed
           ???

I think way more important than a search method, is some form of ACL on the
vCard (or it's replacement) so that you can reveal as little or as much of
your personal info as you want to particular users.  From the amount of spam
I get sent to email addresses I have listed in the ICQ Whitepages, I can
tell spammers are going to love Jabber when it becomes popular.

Michael.

From: "Alexey Shchepin" <alexey at sevcom.net>