[standards-jig] JEP-0060 comments

Alexey Shchepin alexey at sevcom.net
Mon Jan 6 13:47:20 UTC 2003

Hello, Greg!

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003 10:57:10 -0600, you said:

 GH> On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:36:46PM -0700, Peter Millard wrote:
 >> * Added a jid attribute to the subscription element when subscribing: ...
 >> Note that for iq transactions, the server must send back TO the full jid,
 >> since JSM will not route iq packets which do not have a resource.

 GH> I'm still a bit confused about this. Suppose I want to subscribe from an
 GH> entity using the full jid? In my application, I'm thinking of having a
 GH> small desktop component that runs under the credentials of an existing
 GH> Jabber user, with a different resource name. This desktop component would
 GH> subscribe to a node and would expect to receive notifications when items
 GH> are published. Therefore, the pubsub component must know about the full
 GH> jid which expects to receive notifications. Perhaps a modification to this
 GH> sentence would help:

What about mail-list style subscription?  I.e.:

1) Someone requests to subscribe JID.
2) Pub/sub component sends to this JID message with unique key.
3) If this JID agreed with subscription, then it sends message back with same
key.
4) Pub/sub checks key and subscribes JID if key matches.

Also, IMHO we need to think about how this pub/sub will be used.  E.g. what I
need to do, if I want to see avatars of all users in my roster?  With current
JEP I need to discovery servers of each roster user, find in it pub/sub
component (btw, how? by discovering each of items and find in info that it have
category/type like "service/pubsub"?), and in discovery replies find (or not
find) something like "generic/<userinitials>-avatar", "avatars|<username>",
"/home/<username>/public/images/avatars/avatar1", etc...  I coldn't automatize
this procedure in client anyhow.

What we can do:

1) To easily find pub/sub service on server:
1a) Define that pub/sub service always have JID pubsub.<servername>; or
1b) Add category and type attributes in <item/> tag of disco#items reply and
    register in JANA category and type for pub/sub services.

2) Standardize node names, so we always find user's nodes under
   e.g. "/users/<username>", and his avatar under "/users/<username>/avatar".